8.31.2010

Tuesday Tutorial - Canning Spaghetti Sauce (Yes that's right it's back!)

Sorry I have been a slacker with the tutorials I actually took pictures for like 10 but I never get to upload them on Tuesday. But this week I made a special point. For the record my mom and my grandma never taught me how to do this I just did a little research and did it on my own.  Although it does make me wonder if my grandma jones used to can things as I don't think grandma kelly did much other than jams.  But despite the fact I only got 2 jars from this batch of tomatoes I had the best time doing this and it makes me want to grow more tomatoes next year.
#1 - Gather Ingredients - I used lots of mine from my garden including this super awesome green pepper - Yum!
  • 10 -14 tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, chopped (or three or four if you use the baby ones homegrown style)
  • 2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
#2 Chop up the chopables (notice how sexy they look on my blue counters)
#3 Blanche Tomatoes - blanche basically means drop them in boiling water until they split.
#4 - Remove promptly into an ice bath which needs to be in some super groovy Pyrex - I prefer the partridge pattern because it is my favorite one.
#5 When Cool Enough to Handle Remove Skin
#6 My Favorite part - Squeeze to remove the seeds (seeds = ick).
#7 Chop up about 3/4ths of the tomatoes and 1/2 the basil and put in blender.
#8 Puree (hehe I like that word) & chop remaining tomatoes
#9 Saute onions/peppers in oil and butter until onions are translucent - then add in tomatoes, puree, wine and spices
#10 Bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 1 hour.  Add in Tomato Paste then Simmer for another 1.
#11 In the meantime sterilize your jars, rings and lids. You really only need too for this much. (photo is misleading)
#12 Pour into jars and and add the jar lids and rings.  Tighten loosely - to ensure good seal submerge the whole jar into boiling water for 10 minutes that will do the trick - note the water should only be as tall as the rim of the jar or lower.  Jar will pop when sealed. And Ta Da Spaghetti Sauce.
Can you say Nifty!

2 comments:

thea said...

looks yummy!

Unknown said...

yum! adding this to my list ;)