5.28.2019

I want to remember ... Hilton Head Family Vacation


I want to remember the drive which was uneventful.
I want to remember the delight in my children at the CrackerBarrel.
I want to remember the awe of the “fancy” residence inn of preschoolers.
I want to remember singing songs on the long drive.
I want to remember silly things grandma said.
I want to remember the detour to pick berries.
I want to remember how the van smelled of strawberries.



I want to remember the girl who loved the sand.
I want to remember the girl who delights in burying her feet.
I want to remember the girl who does NOT care about getting sand in her suit, hair, face, arms and legs.
I want to remember the girl who builds sand castles, volcanos, mud pits, and just shovels sand to make nothing.


I want to remember how the water refreshed me.
I want to remember how the sand smooshed around my feet.
I want to remember how the sun glistened on the water. 
I want to remember how we watched ghost shrimp and found crabs.



I want to remember how Thea pronounced Jenga blocks as “Jacob blocks’.
I want to remember how they all played Jacob blocks so nicely.
I want to remember how the big kids built towers for Ollie to knock down.
I want to remember how Ollie carried those blocks to every room in the house.
I want to remember how Ollie walked and babbled and spider-crawled.
I want to remember how I encouraged Ollie to say my name and then he did.










I want to remember the boy who loved the water.
I want to remember how he loves it washing over him both in the waves and at the shore.
I want to remember how he would punch it and dive into it.
I want to remember how he was NOT afraid.
I want to remember how he smiled and laughed as he rode waves with his aunts and uncle.

I want to remember the trip to the ER when my eye wouldn’t open or stop watering.
I want to remember the ER Dr. Snowman who works in a resort town.
I want to remember the Eye Dr. Johnson who proclaimed I would NOT go blind from my eye abrasion.
I want to remember when I could finally open my eyes again.
I want to remember that straw hats and giant sunglasses can hide the eye that looks like it was punched.




I want to remember early morning pool swims.
I want to remember how Jones wanted to be tossed in.
I want to remember how Thea preferred the hot tub and playing with sand toys in the pool.
I want to remember how Ollie loved to splash and found so much delight in the pool.
I want to remember pool noodle swords and cannon balls.
I want to remember matching swim suits.
I want to remember to check where the deep end is before I jump in.
I want to remember the late-night pool party.
I want to remember the water so hot “it will blow your mind”.
I want to remember post beach wash the sand off pool parties.
I want to remember the little children’s museum and Jones loved the racetrack, and Thea loved the kitchen/restaurant area.
I want to remember making crafts at the museum.






I want to remember pirate golf.
I want to remember how my kids really only wanted to golf for like 4 holes maybe 9.  
I want to remember that I did get a hole in one.
I want to remember the baby racoons we saw at the golf course.



I want to remember family dinners and clean-up.
I want to remember that ice cream is a staple of family vacation.
I want to remember Thea’s little song about Hilton Head South Carolina.
I want to remember our day trip to Savannah.
I want to remember the oak tree lane and our hike that Thea walked at the pace of a snail.
I want to remember how my siblings (and best friend) love on my kids. 

I want to remember the big moments and little moments and how a family vacation is not always ideal but we do it together. 






No comments: