1.29.2019

6 #greatjonesandcobakeoff


On my list this year was to participate with my siblings and mom & aunt in what we are calling the Great Jones and Co Bake-off.  It’s basically our attempt at making baked goods we wouldn’t normally bake sort of like Great British Baking Show.  We started off with Pies/Tarts in January.  There’s no time limit really.  I made Strawberry tarts (strawberry’s were on sale and we had these little tart dishes nobody ever had used).  Jones also helped my mom with Lemon Meringue.  
My pie crust was very good but I needed more filling in my tarts - although Jones loved them.  Moms pie didn’t really set up very well.  Jonathan and Lo made raspberry tarts which the custard was very good but their filling was too runny.  And aunt Thea looked to have a very nice apple pie but she didn’t make her crust.  Overall it was very successful  my son seemed to enjoy it very much he is already looking forward to the next few especially in March where we plan to make doughnuts.



Here are some process photos too I didn’t take many photos mostly video which is sent via family text (next time we will have to add aunt Thea):

I am showing the kids how to quarter strawberries.

Our crust I regret not having beans to put into the crust.  Also I used a bowl to cut the shell to the right size. 

Making the filling.  It was very basic, strawberry, lemon, sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch.

I had lots of crust leftover so we made decorative tops.  I also made the kids a bunch of “pie fries” which is just leftover dough cut and cooked as strips - my kids are super into them, I wished I had flavored them but the kids didn’t mind. 

Final tarts.  My crust was very flaky and buttery.  The filling was good seemed like jam my mom said but overall I needed more filling.  No soggy bottoms though.  
Next month we are making bread.

No comments: