11.28.2016

17 - Pie x 2

For thanksgiving I tested out my pie skills.  I even let jones help me.  His favorite part was pouring and eating streusel.  But he really got into it. 
We first make Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie (http://www.saveur.com/sugar-cream-pie-recipe).  This was super easy however one of my pie pans was missing so we improvised with a casserole pan and that seemed to work but we had more filling than pie shell.  

While we were letting the pie cook we made streusel for our other pie and tossed it in the freezer.  We just made it from brown sugar, butter, oatmeal and flour.  I don't have a recipe. I just use a stick of butter and about 1/2 cup brown sugar and maybe 1/4 of flour and oatmeal.  I used a pasty cutter or mashed potato masher to mix it. If needed I add more butter/sugar for right consistency.  We then sliced and peeked about 6 Granny Smith apples.  We loosely followed this apple pie recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15683/dutch-apple-pie-with-oatmeal-streusel/ for the filling with no cinnamon add extra nutmeg   Jones loved the whole thing and keeps asking to make more pie.  
They turned out good although next time i will use smaller or less apples.  

No comments: