9.23.2009

Meatloaf

so I've never really been a big fan of any kind of loaf. But Sunday there I was with ground sirloin on the counter and didn't really know what to cook for supper - so I made some meatloaf. Which I must say is better off when eaten on sandwiches the next day, and the next and still the next - if you didn't know I'm eating leftover meatloaf sandwich right now and I think 3 day old meatloaf is actually better than fresh from the oven. But that is besides the point.
So I was trying to think on what might actually improve meatloaf and make it more appealing? I thought bacon and/or cheese or maybe even some kind of veggie like broccoli or asparagus? Can you cook broccoli in meat? I don't even know. So I googled some recipes and I found this one, which I think I would modify to become this...

Jones Compound Mmmm Mmmm Meatloaf
  • 1/2 pound ground sirlion
  • 1/2 (12 ounce) package bulk pork breakfast sausage
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper seeded & chopped
  • 1 tablespoons barbecue sauce
  • 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup instant oatmeal
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp chilli pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp parsley fresh or flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 4 strips bacon
  • 1 tblsp Ketchup (of the Heniz Variety)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Mix the meat, garlic, onion, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, egg, oatmeal, spices, and Cheddar cheese together in a large bowl until evenly mixed. Form into a loaf and place in a loafsized baking dish. Lie the bacon strips across the top of the meatloaf. (I perhaps would like to cook the bacon in the meatloaf but that might not cook? )
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
  4. Spread ketchup evenly on top and cook 10 more minutes (meatloaf should not be "crispy")
  5. Serve with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes.
I did not find any recipes that involved cooking your meatloaf with your veggies aside from green peppers so perhaps they are better off left on the side, unless you have better ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my grandma used to be the queen of things in a loaf I'll have to ask her about veggies. - Kelli

Unknown said...

I'm shocked that there is not any A-1 Sauce in this. :)