2.25.2011

Movie - The Fighter Fantastic

Last night I went with a friend to see The Fighter.  She and I are starting a habit of going to see movies lately she's not a big movie fan but I think movies are growing on her.
This week we went and saw The Fighter, which is based on a true story of a Boxer from Lowell, MA.  Some of the locations in the movie were familiar since I've been in the Boston metro area for a while, which is always fun.  I actually really liked the movie I was thinking it might have a more "male" target audience but surprisingly less so than you think and I don't really care for boxing.  The story has a good message and it wasn't just a sports related one but I won't give it away, but I appreciated that it wasn't the typical underdog sports movie.  But my favorite part of the movie was actually the sisters.  Mickey Ward the fighter, has 7 sisters and in the movie they add a special something and provide some humor.  (One of the sisters is also Conan O'Brien's sister).  Anyhow I think this movie has a real chance at winning some academy awards although I'm not sure it will take best picture.  What I can really appreciate about it and The Kings Speech is both are good "REAL" stories, made simply, with great acting, and humor.   I think it's always nice to see movies that don't special effects or bizarre plots to be great.



No comments: