1.28.2010

Adventures in Boston, Toilets & Machu Picchu

Jono was complaining to me that I haven't gone on many adventures this year. Perhaps he's right or I have gone but I haven't blogged about them. So here's a few adventures I've been on so far this year.
I've done a lot of walking in the cold of boston. Trust me sometimes the wind on the channel is in an adventure in and of itself. I've seen the back of my coworks on the summer street bridge.
And the channel. I kind of like this sideways can you see it starting to freeze?
The skyline it was such a nice sunset.
I went to dinner with my boss on the north end and the bathroom in the basement literally was an icebox. I also thought I needed to take a picture in it.
I've been spying all these tagging stickers around Boston this one I love. I'm not sure why but isn't it cute.
And then there was an adventure in toilet installation. I think Lowe's had been missing us. We took our nerd glasses with us so we could look geeky buying our eco-friendly toilet - ya that's right #34. Mom got bored while we were wandering around and so she found some place to hang out until we were ready to check out. First jono watched uTube to find out about toliet installation then we removed the old toilet - let's be real I pretty much let jono do all the work because I'm not so into plumbing or toilets although I did help a little like opening the box (hehe). Anyhow the toilet removal went off without a hitch but then we couldn't get the new toilet to be flush to the floor - despite everything we tried so I called the Jodie and Dennis. They are very handy friends and they ROCK! And they enlightened us and finally jono got it fixed and working. And it is something how it works - :D Now for some photos...
Nerd glasses go to Lowes. (For the record these used to be JJ's back in highschool aren't they sexy?) Click photo for a larger view.
Out with the old - toilets are really heavy good thing we have safety gear like goggles and gloves.
And then there was the new one. :D we obviously weren't done when we put it in.
And then there was Machu Picchu - which is a Peruvian restaurant on the west side of Indy. I read about it in Indianapolis Monthly which btw I love to get each month although I have to say I didn't like the last two issues. And I thought with us going to Peru and Chile this year it would be good to sample the cuisine. So we drove to the west side and we found machu picchu which is beside a Mexican and Ethiopian place both of which we cannot wait to try and it's also right near Mexican and Asian supermarket who knew Indy even had these places? We are already planning an adventure to do some shopping over that way. Anyhow about the place - it was almost empty but it was cute. And we ordered some random stuff I had never heard off. It was pretty good although I can't say it was anything too special. The best thing we had was the sweet potatoes. I think perhaps i wasn't in LOVE with it because it wasn't that spicy? Anyhow a few pics.
The place looks like this...
I order something called Purple Corn to drink and it reminded a bit of cold wassail there's nutmeg in it. I liked it but jono did not.
they had paintings of machu picchu
these are the sweet potatoes that were great. I decided that this dish was one you were supposed to mix some beef, sweet potatoes and pickled tomatoes and onion like a burrito which is pretty good together.
We got Yuca - which is not cactus (I guess I'm thinking of something else), but it rather the root of south American plant. This wasn't that different than french fries although sweeter and not oily.
some kind of seafood - I cannot comment on that.
and some kind of beef dish. This was rather like beef stew it ended up being a safe dish although when I ordered it I had no clue, anyhow it was pretty good I would have it again but I would most like try something again.
Hows that for some adventures?? I'll make sure and cram lots more into Feb.

4 comments:

jay said...

I can't believe my glasses from HS are still around your house. And yes, they were/are dead sexy!

Lynley said...

I've been meaning to try Machu Picchu and that Ethiopian place right next to it. There's also a Cuban cafe right around the corner now that looks pretty good. For your west side shopping trip, you should hit up the Saraga International grocery store (or supermarcada). It's a crazy adventure just to walk through and see all the weird things they sell that do NOT seem like they should be food AND it's full of fun Japanese and European snacks.

Katie said...

Jay - hell yes they are dead sexy. We couldn't part with them. I keep them in the car just in case I need to be pseudo katie that can't see.

thanks for the tips Lynley.

Jodie said...

Glad our toilet expertise came in handy. We shouldn't keep all of our awesome knowledge to ourselves. :)
So glad you picked Peru and Chile. I can't wait to hear all about your experiences. When is the trip?