1.26.2010

Tuesday Tutorials - Donut Making

So many things this week could have been tutorials but this weekend jono and I tried to make donuts for him to take to work. In the past I've always made them with bisquick but this time we wanted to try from scratch (for the record I recommend the bisquick kind easier).
Anyhow we tried like 6 different recipes and it seemed like one disaster after the next. But we learned some lessons along the way:
  • Like any recipe that calls for less than 1/2 cup of liquid but 4 cups of flour will make the driest of donuts.
  • You really really really should sift the flour even if your hand feels like it will fall off when you are done.
  • Use anything from a cup to a funnel to cut your donuts.
  • Drink beer while frying.
  • DO NOT touch the bottom of your fryer after you unplug it.
  • Dough will be wet when you roll it - this is OKAY.
For the record we now have 80+ donuts we won't eat and plan to feed to some geese or ducks or something soon hah - sometimes even the best laid plans don't work as intended.
Anyhow here is the recipe and process that works and I wish you happy donut making.
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract









As a bonus I'm going to post about our egg roll making from last week soon too! :D

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh yum. i really should not attempt these. but i might anyways :) thanks for the tutorial!!

Anonymous said...

Step #5 is my fav!

Jodie said...

My mom used to make us homemade donuts all the time when I was little. They were the best. She had a little griddle like thing that had donut shaped impressions in it. She poured the batter in, closed the lid and it made perfect little donuts. (sorta looked like a waffle maker, but with donut molds) I wish I was there to try your recipes! I {heart} cake donuts!