5.20.2010

Ahhh Walnut Pesto

I did my #23 Make Walnut Pesto last night. It was yummy. In fact I am eating the leftovers right now for lunch. I think next time I will try putting asparagus in it and using spinach instead of parsley but think it was yum and my guess is my friend would agree.
You need to gather up all your stuff - I'm so glad to be using my blender I hardly ever use the thing.
Chop off the stems of the parsley
parm cheese - I was too lazy to shred my own.
blend - yup it looks a little like baby food as anticipated
Oh and look how fun it looks on my adorable pink polka dot plates which I inherited from my great aunt toots years ago - unfortunately there are only three of them.
Here's the recipe:
Ingredients
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1/3 cup with thick stems removed
  • 3 tblsp Parmesan,
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 clove garlic, smashed
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 lb chicken breasts
  • 1/2 lb of pasta (any variety)
Directions
  1. Chop chicken and saute in a little olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste chicken should be white when done.
  2. Meanwhile in a food processor or blender, pulse the walnuts, parsley, garlic, Parmesan, oil, salt, and pepper to a coarse puree.
  3. Boil water for pasta, cook pasta per directions, about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta reservering 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
  4. Mix pesto, chicken and pasta with 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water, and the butter. If the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved pasta water.
  5. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan or walnuts and serve.

4 comments:

thea said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

pesto reminds me of an "episode" with you and pesto from whatever that place downtown was - linguine's or bertucci's or something. I'm guessing when you read this you will know exactly what I'm talking about. - nick

Katie said...

oh I remember that it's just another reason why I should not be allowed out in public! ;o)

jay said...

this sounds tasty... i'd make it except for the fact that it would totally kill chris. he's deathly allergic.