#babyburf birth story

I typed this up for his baby book but thought I'd share it here too.  
June 18th, Wednesday morning I woke up early with a horrible headache.  I ate some breakfast then got to work on my laptop, trying to ignore the headache. Around 9:30 I decided to take a nap.  I laid down for a bit.  About 10 minutes later I found myself with my head in the toliet vomiting. I laid back down for 10 minutes and then felt better so I went back to work.  Again I got the urge to be sick and did.  I figured this time I should google my symptoms - We were past the due date and morning sickness was not really a pregnancy symptom I had ever had much of.  Google basically said call the doctor. 
I called her she said we should pack a bag and meet her at the hospital.  I called Dustin at work then took a shower.  
Dustin came home all in panic he's much more of a worrier than me.  He also flipped out because at some point between work and being sick I had pulled out the filter of the AC also moving the large heavy storm doors and not putting them back.  (Apparently my husband is not a fan his 40 weeks pregnant wife hauling around heavy things).  We headed to the hospital after he changed from his work clothes and put away the storm doors.  I had packed both myself and you, a bag. 

After checking in at labor and delivery they hooked me up to monitors, drew blood and urine samples.  very quickly they decided I must be dehydrated.  I also was having "secret mystery" contractions every two minutes but didn't even know.  These contractions had me dilated at 5-6 cm and 60% effaced. However I hadn't a clue!  Since I needed fluids and also needed my GBS antibiotic prior to delivery they admitted us.  I called Kathleen and gave our family the heads up.  I gave the hospital my birthing plan which I had indicated that I wanted natural childbirth (it was really detailed and thorough).  We got all checked in and started walking laps around the labor and delivery wing Dustin and Kathleen took turns walking with me.  We had a really good nurse Carmen we all liked her and she was extremely knowledgable. 
Around 10pm we were at like 8cm and they tried to break my water.  Apparently my water would not break because the baby was not engaged.  So we started pitocin and doing a hands and knees position to try and move your head down a bit.  I want to state for the record that labor and delivery beds are not made for women 5'11" this made most positions on the bed uncomfortable and/or my legs dangled over.  The pitocin did not really speed things along however your head shifted down and around 3am they were able to break your water for real.  This was extremely painful I pretty much closed my eyes and grit my teeth.  
With my water broken my every two minute contractions got really intense I went from feeling no pain to this extreme pain and discomfort - it was a level 12 on their 0-10 scale.  It was almost like everything was amplified I seriously wanted to strip off my clothes and the monitors and run out if the hospital - everything that touched me was dreadful cold packs, hot packs, blankets, the bed, massages etc.  I would spend the two minute breaks of contractions just trying to figure out how I would not go crazy when I was having the contractions. 
Around 8am at only 9cm and being fully effaced I caved and got the epidural.  If I had not I am quite certain all my sanity would have gone out the window and I might have jumped out the window naked and delivered you in the ditch next to the highway.  
Getting the epidural was not so bad.  It took away the pain for some time however it gave me uncontrollable shaking and actually slowed your arrival. I couldn't really feel or control my legs so walking and position changing was out.  However I was no longer stripping off the monitor or going crazy.  The doctor was rather shocked I got it considering I had been so calm prior to breaking my water. 
Around 11:30am I was feeling this really intense pressure and the desire to push.  We paged the doctor.  
She came in checked me and agreed it was time to push.   When we started pushing I was feeling the pain again and it was not pleasant.  Dustin was holding my hand and leg and our nurse Jeni the other side   Also at some point like 3-4 other doctors joined our doctor and a handful of nurses and a few med students everyone was checking on tyou and trying to encourage me to keep going.  I however just wanted to stop I kept telling them I could not keep pushing.   We had trouble getting you out so they used the vacuum and had to cut me.   Some point at the end I even attempted to kick at the doctors to get them off of me.  But I stuck with it and within 20-30 minutes you arrived.  Good thing too as somehow you had managed to knot your emblical cord and you were in distress. 
They immediately put you on my chest.  I looked at you in shock and said this one can't be mine he's Chinese.  Lol.  Of course you were mine but you had not seen light yet so you were squinting.  Your silly mommy.  You were perfect and tiny and we loved you from the first minute we saw you. 

You were born at 12:09pm, weighing 8 lbs 5oz, and 23.75 inches long.  A long and slender boy, with a dimple in your chin and otherwise looking a lot like your mommy.   We are so glad you have joined our family Jones Forrest you are the perfect addition. And that's your birth story.

1 comment:

thea said...

Very sweet!