12.20.2009

Indy Old School Style

I'm sure some of you are sick to death of me sharing old photos of places you haven't been to or maybe you have, but my friend Nick emailed me this link today and I was so exicited about some of the beautiful photos I found I couldn't resist sharing some. Images are part of the Indiana Historical Society Collection, just lovely. Jodie there's even a few from brownsburg. If you want to check out and browse for photos on your own click here.
Check out these bathing beauties - apparently at one time there was a Broad Ripple Beach? Who knew? and now you just run or bike along the river you certainly don't swim in her.
And Riverside park - had bear pits I do believe this stone wall is still standing though, the bears alas have probably died off.
And good old IMS no golf course yet and check out the trees oh and where did the news media sit there was no Pagoda.
This one makes me a little sad - check out the adorable opera house that used to be in the northwest corn of the circle - now it's a sad boring building - I'd rather have opera!
Looks like there was a bus terminal after the opera house and before the banks moved in - other than that this skyline is very much changed now in this direction with the addition of the conrad, circle center, the simon towers and the new stadium.
And I used to live here on the sixth floor - the Ambassador. Not in the 1920's of course but back in the early 2000's now the central library is behind it - I'm so glad they didn't tear it down it was my favorite apartment I ever had.
And Garfield park which looks almost exactly the same today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who knew I was a contributing editor. Nick