4.13.2012

Ingredient of the Week - Chick Peas

I think I'm going to start a new "semi-regular" segment on my blog called "Ingredient of the Week".  It's no secret around here but I'm not really a traditional lunch liker - who really likes lunchmeat sandwiches or even PBJ???  
When I'm working from home I struggle with what to fix for lunch and often times I skip it.  This is bad practice especially when you probably only had hot tea for breakfast. So this week I opened a can of chickpeas and thus the ingredient of the week was born.  4 times this week I had my ingredient of the week for lunch - it was fun to try and make each meal different.  So here are four super simple recipes for fixing yourself chickpeas for lunch (sorry I only took one photo).   And sorry but this only probably works if you work from home or pre-make these.  

Recipe #1 - Broccoli & ChickPeas
1/2 cup cooked broccoli
1/4 cup chickpeas
pinch garlic salt
directions:  tossed this into a bowl and just ate it like that.  (Did I mention these were simple?)

Recipe #2 - ChickPea Avocado Salad
1/4 cup chickpeas
handful lettuce
leftover guacamole
few sliced carrots
salsa
directions: mix in bowl and eat.  this was probably my favorite you don't need even need dressing the guac has you covered.

Recipe #3 - ChickPea Grilled Cheese
leftover hamburger Bun
provolone cheese
1/8 cup chick peas
pickles
butter
directions:  butter inside of bun and grill.  add in cheese pickles and chickpeas let the cheese melt around pickles and chickpeas. Slice. Eat.
Recipe #4 - Wild ChickPea
1/4 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup wild rice
1/4 cup water
handful sliced carrots
pinch galic salt
directions - cook rice as mentioned in rice cooker when rice is almost done toss in carrots/chickpeas. This one needed a little something I wish I had put in some broccoli or something to jazz it up.

4 lunches all made using things we have in the house, and mind you NONE of these even had meat. mmmmm
PS. I would like to thank my former roommate Jordan for leaving me these chickpeas and for the rice cooker that I should probably send him back.

picasa

1 comment:

thea said...

hmmm. that chick pea grilled cheese not quite my cup of tea.