4.16.2012

The Prom Dress that Got Away.

Tina Turner Sparkle
Let's talk for a minute about Prom Dress Shopping. I knew whenever Amy suggested we get a bunch of people together and go to adult prom, that I wanted to have a SUPER SPARKLEY dress. 
The kind that you look at and get blinded. You know what I'm talking about right? 
Think Tina Turner Gold for someone who is almost six feet tall. (see photo). 
Every girl wants a sparkley dress - right? 
When I think of all the dresses I've owned and worn - there's not a single one that is UBER SPARKLE. 
I'm in my thirties now and if I haven't owned one yet when is the time? So I looked and I looked for it. 
I went to thrift stores. 
I went to bridal dress stores. 
I went to department stores. 
I went shopping with friends. 
I went shopping with almost strangers who probably have never been dress shopping. 
I went with co-workers. 
I went shopping on the internet. 
I tried on dress after dress.
I tried on short ones. 
I tried on long ones. 
I tried on inappropriately cut ones. 
I tried on the ugliest ones.
I tried on sequin.
I tried on beaded.
I'm telling you I looked.
I looked high. 
I looked low. 
I looked everywhere - but that Tina Turner UBER Sparkle dress alluded me unless I wanted it to be costumey rather than formal wear - it will be forever that one that got away. 
So I abandoned that idea and just wore sparkley accessories, which was probably good because almost 5 hours of dancing in sequins might have caused me to break into hives. 

And a little throwback to Proms gone by here are photos from my proms in the 1990's. 
Junior Prom Circa 1997 - Laura, JennyG, Me and Jordana.  Goodness was my mouth overly big in this picture.
Prom 1998 - See me in that stripped tie-dye dress and stupid sunglasses that was like $10 and it matched that blue leisure tux so well.
picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about not finding the dress. :(. I love that you are wearing flip-flops in the first prom picture. What a rebel!

Anna said...

Gosh Katie, I am so sorry that you could not find some sparkles.
My only question is did you go to Debs? I liked the one from your junior year the best.