7.05.2012

Folk music, Homemade Lemonade in Mason Jars, Swimming Hole - Happy Birthday USA!

Inspired by our recent concert goings from the weekend (we went and saw The Head and the Heart and Trampled by Turtles).  We planned a little 4th of July date via text message complete with homemade lemonade in Mason Jars, a swimming hole, and folk music.  
I think D half thought I was kidding but it turned out to be a great date and day.  It wasn't your traditional 4th of July with parades, fireworks, and BBQs but it still was very summery and fourth of julyish.  It was the perfect kind of fourth of July very Huck Finnish as Glenna said. And as an added bonus I got to meet D's mom and a few of his friend.
I must admit that the homemade lemonade could have quite possibly been the best lemonade I ever had and it tasted so refreshing from the mason jar.  So I am going to share my "secret" recipe with you.  I googled recipes and I wanted something that didn't use sugar so I kinda just did my own thing with the honey and amounts and such.

Homemade Honey Lemonade
  • Juice of 8 lemons
  • approximately 1 cup of honey (yes I didn't measure it)
  • 1 Slides lemon cut into 4ths
  • Smidgen of lemon zest
  • 6 cups of boiling water
  • Pyrex Bowl of ice
Instructions:
1. Juice those lemons.  I did it by hand just squeezing those bad boys (made my hands smell like lemonade too). Zest in some lemon zest ;o)
2. Mix the boiling water with the honey and stir.  It will dissolve the honey nicely. 
3. Then mix the honey water with the lemon juice and stir.  Taste it.  add more honey or more water depending on your sweet to bitter ration, this is what happens when you don't measure. 
4. Toss in the lemon quarters and ice.
5. Pour into ice filled mason jars and serve or store with the lid on.  
6. Take it down to the swimming hole, play yourself some folk music and enjoy refreshing beverage.  

 picasa

2 comments:

thea said...

looks yummy and relaxing. sounds like you had a most wonderful day. I should get some lemons for your visit.

Anonymous said...

I've been a graphic artist designer for over 7 years now. I am fairly new to blogging and came across your web blog while searching for design blogs and forums. I must mention just how encouraged I am with your blog posts and articles and also the entire quality of your blog. Lets hope I can create a website like yours and will pay attention to your posts with great focus. Thanks heaps for the encouragement friend.
Look at my website :: australian artists art