7.09.2012

Bungalow Bill Gets a New Kitchen - Before and After Photos

Let me just preface this post by saying... No matter how much you plan and how hard you work things don't always go according to plan. This project was no exception to that rule. I feel like what we thought would be 2-3 coats of paint was 12. And a floor that should have been laid in hours took a day and then there was that crying incident. But I'm happy to say aside from a kitchen table and some blinds (which might take me 10 years to find), this project is DONE!
BIG HUGE SUPER THANKS to Jono and Ricky for everything including by not limited to heavy lifting, shopping, demoing, plumbing, drywall replacement patching, painting, tiling, grouting and more!  More super thanks to Kathleen for all your tireless efforts helping me paint and encouragement.  More mega thank you's also to Amy, Nathan, Lynley, Queen, Josh, Matt, Momo, Faith, and anyone I might have missed that assisted with this project.  Apparently it takes an army to finish a kitchen remodel.  Even in two months.
Now here are the before photos... 
I wish I had some which included the icky wallpaper we stripped off three years ago.  It was like "faux stucco" with a yellowly blah tint and cracks and a stripped number on one wall as well as a icky border.  So just invision that when looking at these photos and try not to throw up in your mouth.   Also if you look closely you may see how nasty that sink is.  It was disgusting!
Yes our microwave was on the fridge and thats awesome blue laminate counters.  Don't be jealous it's gone now. 
That curtain on the backdoor was the awesomest and may have been there when the house was built circa 1952.   
I wish you could see that gross ceiling fan better in this photo but trust me it was not really pretty.
And now for the after photos... 
I installed that ceiling fan.  I think it's pretty awesome.  (Just an FYI the magnet collection is moving to a surprise location soon).
My new mixer and yes my straws are in an antique Barbicide container. 
These are the prints you see walking into the door - framed in painted goodwill frames.  I love these prints even though they don't match perfectly.  The top one is a letter press card from RAR Press I think and the bottom I just made and printed on my printer.
I'm not really a fan of the new hood however we had an odd sized space there so it's all that would fit at Lowes, Home Depot or Menards.  Both the stove and the dishwasher we didn't replace since they were still in good condition.
The lower cabinets had to be replaced they don't match 100% to the upper ones but who really notices.I love the new sink it's some kind of interesting material.
I love that backsplash and yes that spoon getter is pretty sweet.
Thanks to Jim for this antique foil saran wrap holder I love it it matches so well with a coat of spray paint.  Sorry this photo is blurry but prints here are a card that says "I see your pretty gangsta I'm pretty gangsta myself." also a letterpress card although I can't remember from who.  There's an owl - charlie harper print and then the yellow one says Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever - Hebrews 13:8. 
I also love the surprise yellow door.  It might have taken like 4 coats of paint but it's awesome. 
The laundry room doors are a vast improvement over the old orangey ones.
Check out that new light above the sink.  Pinterest Project!  Ricky made it for me.  I think it's pretty awesome.
We've already been cooking in the kitchen and I cannot wait to have more people over for more of that.
picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kithchen looks amazing. I'm going to have to come to Indy to visit it!

Lindsay Conner said...

Yes! Looks amazing!

Anna said...

I love it! Even the lunch box hanging where the aprons go is perfect!

Jodie said...

Fantastic job Katie!!!