2.18.2014

Black Bean Burgers

Being pregnant it's essential to get enough protein.  I didn't think this was an issue for me when I was on the road however now that I work from home it's been more of a challenge, I was having a bowl of cereal or a grilled cheese but nothing with much protein especially since hot dogs and lunch meat are out.  So a few weeks ago I thought about bean burgers which are easy to fix - well I paid the $4.89 for a package of 4 once then decided I could make the much cheaper.  After checking out a few recipes I gave it a go.  And to my surprise I made 8 4-5oz burgers and I'm guessing they were less than $2.  Here's my recipe which was adapted from several others based on what was in the cupboard.
Ingredients - 
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can of corn drained
1 cup of bread crumbs
1/4 onion (I would have added more but it was all we had)
1 egg 
1/2 cup of cooked rice (or really whatever was in the leftovers in my fridge)
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 tsp of cumin (I might have put in 2 but I know at least 1)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
Coconut oil for frying (you could use olive or butter if you didn't have coconut, but we love Louanns)
Directions:
1. In food processor mix beans, egg, onion, rice, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, garlic and blend until smooth. (If you have a small food processor you might do half at a time).
2.  Add in half the corn and blend again.
3.  Remove blade add in remaining corn and bread crumbs and mix with spatula/spoon.
4. Shape into patties with your hands.  It will be sticky add more bread crumbs if they stick too much.

5. Fry in pan with coconut oil to prevent sticking and so the crisp up.
6.  Eat and enjoy.  

I ate mine the other day with pickles just on a plate but I think the would be good on a bun and/or with avacodo, cheese, onion tomato etc.  I froze the extras individually wrapped so I could pop them in the microwave or on the stove.


1 comment:

Mandy Crandell said...

Thank you so much for this recipe!!!!

http://www.somethingmonumental.com/