5.30.2012

Crying over Spilled Milk or Wet Floors

Today started out great - I had lunch plans to meet with Kim Shrum - who I miss seeing like the sun misses the moon. I got in prayer time, a run and yoga all before 7:30. My new Kitchen Aid Mixer which is my corporate anniversary present arrived. It was all sunshine and happy faces. 
And then I noticed my new kitchen floor. Which has begun to warp. I immediately started to panic thinking that my house was melting or leaking or something. Upon closer inspection I determined it's actually my fridge - not the connection to it but something below that maybe the drainage leaking. Seems it's been leaking since we hooked up the water and thus it had the time to warp a good 5-10 sq feet of the floors. 
My frustration tolerance in this moment is at an all time high. This project has been going on for over a month. Its consumed the entirety of my house including the bedrooms. This project has made me frustrated with Jono who's one of my oldest and best friends not to mention champion helper. I was a grout fix, two boxes to be unpacked and some touch-up paint from completing it and now this. After advice from my "faux plumber" and shutting off the water I immediately burst into tears - uncontrollable tears. Nothing like being ridiculously frustrated at 8:30 in the morning crying like a baby on the floor. 
 And then a friend called and another one texted, they both encouraged me and offered their assistance. I stopped crying got myself off the floor and started to work from home trying to ignore this minor disturbance in my day/week/month. I was still annoyed beyond belief. And then another friend text me and another and another IMed each one offering encouragement and support in their own way and I felt better. 
After they lent me an ear I asked one of them "how's your day?" trying not to make things all about me, after I had been all complainy & his response was priceless... it really put my trivial life into perspective. Without telling you about his problems let's just say this - He has bigger sh%$ to deal with than refrigerators and kitchen floors much bigger. After briefly mentioning his problem, he did not whine or melt down crying he simply said something like "I can't really complain it doesn't really do any good. Because I have a job and gods giving me a chance to experience real life and I didn't do anything to deserve that." Which of course made me want to tear up again not because of my floors but for him and his issues.  But you know his response was right that is the right attitude.  So thanks for that.  Clearly I need to get my priorities in order when I cry over a wet floor.
picasa

No comments: