5.16.2012

Dear Jackie and Lisa - Books 6 & 7

I am making a little more progress with my book reading I actually finished two this week and almost a third taking me to 7 of 52.  
The first one is called Made in America by Peter Ueborroth - it's about the 1982 Olympics and the guy who organized them.  After visiting the site of the 1978 Olympics in Montreal I have this sudden fascination with wanting to read all kinds of things about the former Olympic sites.  It was a pretty interesting book although pretty short.  Peter's story is definently an interesting perspective on the Los Angeles Olympics did you know that they didn't get any "government" funding or contributions to put the Olympics on it was all sponsorship and marketing.  Anyhow overall the book was pretty good and a quick read which is the opposite of the next book.

The Steve Jobs book by Walter Issacson seemed to take forever to get thru. I "read" it on audio book it's like 27 hours long.  It pretty much tells the story of steve jobs, apple, and pixar. I learned a lot about the guy that people seem to look up to so much.  I don't really quite see it - aside from being a guy who dropped out of college and founded one of the most profitable companies ever.  Ultimately the book didn't improve my impression of him however.  He seemed to be a manipulator, kind of a jerk, not father of the year, and he wasn't into giving to charity - heck he didn't even really "make" anything himself he wasn't much of a programmer.  However the book itself was well written, and it tells a real story about a flawed man who changed the world with technology.  Overall it was definitely worth the read. 
Onward to finish the other two books I'm reading right now as well. 
Happy Reading!
Katie
picasa

1 comment:

thea said...

you're doing really well on the reading especially for someone who doesn't like to read.