6.29.2012

Let's make Zucchini Bread!

The other night we made zucchini bread up.  A co-worker gave D  this giant zucchini that made for some excellent baking (and stir fry).  It turned out super yummy so I thought I would share here.   I searched the internet for a recipe that didn't have too much sugar in it, and then I adapted it slightly so we could use some whole wheat flour. 
Zucchini Bread Adapted from smitten kitchen (click here) 
Yield: 2-3 loaves 
3 eggs 
1 cup vegetable oil 
1 1/4 cups sugar 
2 cups grated zucchini 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 cup of whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon salt 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup dried cranberries
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
  2. Grease and flour  loaf pans, liberally. (we were able to get three loaves in one batch just by making them slightly smaller).
  3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk.  Mixing the oil and sugar, zucchini and vanilla. 
  4. Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nuts and dried fruit.
  5. Stir this into the egg mixture. 
  6. Divide the batter into prepared pans. 
  7. Bake loaves for 45-60 minutes  or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. 
I'd like to try it adding in like a cup of applesauce or cooked sweet potato for like 1/2 the oil and an egg but that's  for another time.
picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love zuchinni bread! Your recipe looks really good. We belong to a Farm share group and the zuchinni are making a big showing!
Found you from FTF at Mrs. P

Unknown said...

I love the spices of zucchini breads and they do stay moist for ages and freeze well too, having said that, we all have way too much of it in our gardens don't we?

Shay said...

Yum! I must say I didnt used to like zucchini all that much , but I must be getting adventurous in my adage because I love a good zucchini slice these days.

I may have to store your recipe for future reference !

Unknown said...

Zucchini bread is one of my very favorite to make. Have some zucchini growing in the garden and can't wait to try this recipe. Warm hugs, Esther