8.29.2013

Summer Reading - Detriot an American Autopsy

So my summer reading list has been moving along slowly. I although I did finish another book (other than this one) that I will share soon. If you didn't already know I have this weird fascination about Detroit I read the Detroit Free Press more than I do the Indy Star or NY Times so when I saw this one in a bookstore i knew I should get it at the library.  
Detroit - An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff was right up my alley as a memoir of Detroit.  It was a good read it actually went very quickly, it's almost like a compilation of short stories, sad stories about Detroit.  The book is more from an "eyewitness" perspective then a historical perspective and I liked that about it.  Overall it was a good book.  It's still very horrifying that all these things continue to happen in Detroit and probably in neighborhoods near my home and it's almost as if nobody even cares.  After reading it I wanted to visit the firehouses in Detroit and go thru the Detroit neighborhoods while we were there for baseball however we ran out of time because we also wanted to spend time with the team - but I'm sure Detroit will still be there next summer.  Anyhow here's an excerpt from the Prologue because I thought it worth sharing.
At the end of the day the Detroiter may be the most important American there is because no one knows better than he that we're all standing on the edge of the shaft.  - Charlie LeDuff.
picasa

No comments: