5.20.2014

Book 35 - Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

So the latest book I read was "Committed" by Elizabeth Gilbert.  It was a short book probably why I picked it - I had previously read Eat Pray Love which I didn't love but didn't really hate either.  This one was written in a slightly similar manner although a little less "story-like" so it bored me in sections - I much preferred EPL to this one.  It's the follow up book to Eat Pray Love actually and honestly I was continually left wondering why these two are getting married of course they are married in real life so this is rather a null point but still this is a book about marriage.  The little stories about other marriages were interesting but they were also so very different from Liz's love story that they didn't seem to relate entirely.  Now I didn't completely hate this book but what I enjoyed most were some of the quotes like "to be fully seen by someone and to be loved anyhow - this is a human offering that can border on miraculous". And "Marriage becomes hard work once you have poured the entirety of your life’s expectations for happiness into the hands of one mere person. Keeping that going is hard work.”  

No comments: