11.21.2009

The Christmas Tree Shop



So I first learned about the Christmas Tree Shop from a lady that works at our corporate headquarters in Boston on a business trip to Charlestown . She loved shopping and offered to take me one evening. She was uber about us going to the Christmas Tree Shop - I of course was mortified as it was March and I really didn't have any desire to have Christmas knick knacks and santa towels but yet here I went with her to the store. And it seems the Christmas Tree Shop was really like a large dollar store with slightly nicer stuff and although they had a large amount of Christmas stuff their primary merchandise wasn't Christmas junk. I have been several times since and can't say I have ever bought anything.
Anyhow fast forward 4 or 5 years to today when I went to the Christmas Tree Shop here in Indy this is a relatively new store in the area - their parking lot was packed so this should have been a sign for me to turn around. My thoughts were that everyong like me thought the store was Christmas Supplies thus the chaos, but I was looking for something in particular and I figured this would be a good place to get it at a decent price so in I went.
Christmas supplies were right at the front of the door and the place was so packed with grandma's and housewives that one could barely navigate though the mess. Once past the chaos I found what I had come for in the 4 pack for about $3 less than target so I was very impressed so I got 6 (sorry I can't tell you what I was buying it's part of my christmas gift making). And I wandered into one of the long lines that were already formed. So I got in a line without even noticing the crazy christmas lady who had a super full cart. Well 30 minutes later christmas lady's total was $641.21 - and can I tell you every single thing she bought was Christmas - rugs, jingle bell napkin rings, place mats, embroidered towels, etc etc. - seriously how much christmas can one person have? I know I have a lot of Christmas stuff but I have no need for $600 more of it. She tried to pay with her discover card which is not accepted and came up declined and they she tried to pay with her mother's discover card - seriously didn't she get it the first time? Anyhow when it didn't work she whips out her cash which easily was around $5K and proceeds to count out 50's and 100's - and I'm wondering why and in the heck is this lady even trying to pay with her credit card.
Kudos to the ladies of the southside for stimulating the economy at the Christmas Tree Shop on a Saturday afternoon.

4 comments:

KellyAnne_K said...

Personally as a huge lover of Christmas, believe that you can't ever have too much XMAS stuff! ;)

Katie said...

I disagree there can be too much.

KellyAnne_K said...

Well not around my house, although there are plenty of Christmas decorations that should have never been made, my sister and I call ourselves the Christmas Nazi's. We look forward to this holiday more than anyother and the X-mas music starts as early as right after Halloween.

Jodie said...

$642.21 worth of Christmas decor? Wow! I don't think I would have a place to put all that.