8.16.2010

basketball and life on the road

after a beer at the fake bar at the residence inn.  I somehow found myself playing basketball with complete strangers at the hotels court.  I'm not entirely sure why as I am not the world's greatest player and let's be real I didn't know these guys and most likely will never see them again.  But it was fun and it was an interesting way to spend an evening.
Anyhow it got me thinking -  6 IT consultants all working for various companies working in cities we don't live in. All of us have spent the better part of the last 3-8 years living in hotels, taking early morning Monday flights and late Thursday or Friday flights back to our homes.   Two of the guys have been working on the same assignment for a hospital here for over three years traveling almost every week, checking in and out of the residence inn week after week.  Granted I have been traveling full time now for like 4 years but if I had been them I would have moved.   Don't get me wrong - I am not always the airlines biggest fan and I'm over getting my hotel keys redone - but most of the time I actually like no love traveling.  To me there is some sort of thrill about it still that doesn't seem to wear on me.  While I do sometimes feel like I'm stuck in that George Clooney movie - I am not - it's not just a routine to me - I like "test driving" those tin can rental cars, and meeting interesting people, exploring portions of different cities.  I enjoy housekeeping that makes my bed, and having little "thank you" cards left by the managers at marriott.   I am not even sick of New England - it's really grown on me recently.  I don't mind living out of a suitcase if it means I don't have to unpack, and I like if I do something really embarrassing out in public like singing dreadfully at karaoke or missing baskets I shouldn't have I might never see these people again so I can be a little be freer than I would normally.  And right now in my life I find that this just works for me, maybe later it won't, but right now it does.
so here's to being on the road. xoxo

3 comments:

thea said...

to being on the road!

Jodie said...

I am glad you like to travel and share all of your travel photos and escapades with us! It takes a special person to be able to live out of a suitcase, sleep in airports and sit on runways for hours on end. I am happy that you are happy! I especially like when your travels bring you to southern Indiana :)

Benzilla Scrapping said...

I really miss traveling. When I went to Dallas back in June I realized just how much I really did like it & how much I now really love it. I say LIVE IT UP!