10.07.2014

Book 41 - the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks


I still haven't finished the books from my summer reading I started but I finished this one -  the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.  I actually really enjoyed this book.  Who knew it was that into science?  I think it was the mix of science + history that hooked me in.  Just a little background it's a book about HeLa cells and Henrietta Lacks who they came from as well as her family and their quest to find her and honor her. 
I'm not sure how I feel about tissue and cell research/regulation after reading this book but it certainly does make you think.  Especially when someone's cells 50+ years after her death are found in most labs, and have grossed billions of dollars for pharm/research/treatments but that her family is so poor they don't have health insurance.  Anyhow I definitely recommend this one I read it three days (me slow reader here). 

No comments: