5.28.2011

Homemade Spicey Hummus

For the record hummus is not a food everyone likes - but who cares I like it!  I adapted a few recipes I read to make it work for me and I didn't have any Tahini.

Ingredients:
2 cans of garbanzo beans drained (save 1/4 of cup to blend in you can sub in tahini if you have it)
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 cloves garlic smashed and halved
1 Tblsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Spicy Olive Oil (I have a pepper infused cajun mix made locally leave out if you don't like spice)
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp chili pepper (leave out if you don't like spicy)
Directions: 
1. Blend all ingredients together in food processor or blender (if using a crappy blender like me blend small amounts of garbanzos at a time).
2. If Hummus is too think add 1 tsp of olive oil at a time until thins out.  I like my hummus thick like peanut butter but if you are dipping bread you might like it thinner.
3. Remove from blender and serve with veggies, pita chips, bread or whatever floats your boat.

I made some fantastic spicy hummus and spinach wraps with mine in addition to eating with carrots.  I have lots leftover so I'll probably eat with some green pepper slices too, who knows maybe I will make hummus burgers too!

picasa

1 comment:

thea said...

I love hummus! never made it myself, but I may do it some day .. thanks for the recipe.