7.31.2011

Ride a Train #6

So I rode my train #6 actually after the 4th of July but you know sometimes it takes a while to blog about things.  I took the train from Indy to Chicago which is rather inexpensive it was all of $19 for a one-way which is much cheaper than gas in my SUV and it too me right smack into the middle of the city, sadly there wasn't a train home when I needed it though the options for trains are few and far between and if you need to get somewhere at a special time you'll likely need to take the bus instead.   Several things to note about train travel from Indy  - 
  • It's not fast it took something like 6 hours to get from Indy to Chicago driving it would have been 3
  • Citizens of Indy don't know how trains work - literally they didn't know they could get on the train
  • Union Terminal in Indy is in such a sad state for somethign that used to be a transport hub it's kind of depressing
  • Random homeless people my pass out cold and fall hard next to you in the terminal (you won't know what to do)
  • Amtrak smells of disenfectant
  • They provide plugs in the trains
  • The "conductor" (or so I call him)  is very knowledgeable
  • Dining cars are not always open - so I could not get a cocktail at 7am :(
  • Seats are comfortable & recline and not many people ride so you can have two!  (Better than coach on a plane)
Overall though  my train ride was fun it was kind of relaxing to be on a roadtrip and be able to paint my nails, chat on the phone, and nap.  I think I might like to take another train sometime as well, when I have lots of extra time - but I want it to come with a hop off hop on pass so I can get off at random places. 













picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know 2 more points you could note. One is that it is safe to text while trainging and the other is that it is helpful that the person meeting you at the station knows where the station is! LOL!

thea said...

Love the pics. Glad your train ride was a positive experience. I find it frustrating that it take so much longer to take the train than it would to drive. it was even worse from Cincinnati to DC in like 1979 -- I think 16 hours or something ridiculous like that.